Friday, May 17, 2013

For When I am with You

February 2010.

Rivkah Hope and Eurice van ZylMy first impression of Eurice van Zyl was not a good one. I was trying to concentrate in the crowded sociology class. Unlike most of the 400 odd students in the class, I was genuinely interested in the topic of discussion. In the fourth row, an annoying person caught my attention. I swear this guy was ADD. He kept laughing and carrying on. I was so angry with this disruptive guy, I hated him from the start.

But I changed my mind later on in the year when I myself was becoming quite disruptive in the Xhosa lecture purely because the lectures were so boring. This guy that I always thought was majorly annoying, could be my partner in crime in this particular lecture. We landed up joking our way through class, purposefully steering our lecturers away from anything related to Xhosa and flirting with anyone who landed themselves next to us. Regardless of our self-entertaining class activities, we passed the subject.

Eurice told me about his band and all the gigs that they were playing at but nothing really became of it until 2012. Within those two years I started writing my own songs. Eurice invited me to play at some of his band's gigs and invited me to record with him playing violin parts. Later, he roped me in on singing in one of his songs at Jo Ellis' studio in the Karoo. This is what came out of the studio:

What an insanely beautiful song. Straight from the soul. "For when I am With You"

Click here to check out this song on Facebook.

Eurice van Zyl. An amazing man, positively mad, great song -writer/singer, full of ideas, all over the place. But it takes mad people to change the world.

- Rivkah Hope

No comments: